Thursday, May 19, 2016

Visit Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery this Memorial Day

This Memorial Day, May 30th, Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery will be visited by loved ones from around the world. Fort Rosecrans is located on Memorial Drive, Point Loma, San Diego. You drive through the Cemetery on the way to Cabrillo National Monument.


During WWII my Father served in the Philippines, my Mother served as a nurse in Washington State and Aunt Sylvia worked in a mailroom here in San Diego. Sylvia was one of many responsible for distribution of mail to the Pacific Fleet. She is 96 now and lives in Idaho. Dementia is a challenge at her age and she doesn't talk much anymore about her days in San Diego, but I remember hearing her reminisce about those days. Back when my age was in the single digits I recall her telling me how important and sensitive the mail was and that no one knew where the sailors were, on which ship, because it was a matter or national security. It all seemed very scary to me even though WWII had been over with for more than a decade. 

 

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website provides a wealth of information about Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery and those interned there from 1846 to today. I'm including a link here for your convenience. http://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/ftrosecrans.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment