Sunday, February 21, 2016

La Jolla Cove

 La Jolla Cove is in the heart of La Jolla, the Jewell of this exclusive community. The cove is bordered by La Jolla Point to the West and Goldfish Point to the East. Directly below these two artists are La Jolla Caves. If you do an image search for La Caves you will find hundreds of images. The Caves are accessed through a tunnel that was dug in 1902 - 1903. I have not personally been in the caves but I hear that they are interesting.

I, personally, enjoy the walk North of the caves. I find it peaceful, relaxing and serene.



              


!
Hundreds of pelicans make their homes on the sandstone cliffs above The Cove, side-by-side with cormorants. The beaches and caves at the waters edge are frequently filled with seals and sea lions. I'm told that the waters to the north of The Cove at certain times of the year are filled with Leopard Shark. They use this area to raise their young. The person that told me about this happened to be swimming between La Jolla Cove and La Jolla Shores one day and at just the right, or wrong, moment depending on how you look at it, he looked down to see the ocean floor covered with these beautiful Leopard Shark. Here is a link to a Huffington Post, HuffPost Travel, article that provides a more in-depth look at these shark. 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/swimming-with-sharks-la-jolla_n_3562523.html


As you may have noticed, I love the abundance of flowers in 
San Diego. The first year that I lived here I noticed that there is something blooming here all year round. In fact, Strelitzia, commonly called Bird of Paradise, are at their best from late Fall to Spring in San Diego. The narrow leaf species can be found quite literally everywhere around San Diego. My neighbor has a pot of these on her deck. The Giant species, and I do mean GIANT, grow up to 30 feet tall. The first time I saw one of these it was hard to imagine that this gigantic plant was a bird-of-paradise. I've never actually measured one but he blooms are upward of 12 inches in length.


Even the Statice flower, Limonium, grows here like beautiful weeds. Walking near the ocean used to be my focus; the thing I had to do every time I went for a walk. But now I almost prefer the park or those neighborhoods like La Jolla in which to go walking for all of the beautiful landscape and flowers that grow in San Diego year round. 

Have I convinced you yet to RetireInSanDiego?      No? 

Well, stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment