Sunday, February 14, 2016

Shelter Island

Shelter Island is located near the entrance to San Diego Bay. I’m starting my walk this morning at the corner of Anchorage and Talbot. It’s near the entrance to Shelter Island when approaching from Point Loma. I first discovered the beginning part of this walk a couple years after moving to San Diego in 2002. It is a bit, one block, off the beaten path so you can easily walk past the trailhead without noticing this amazing trail. Some weekdays I’ve walked this path and haven’t seen a soul; other times, like today, a Sunday, Valentine's Day, there are quite a few folks out enjoying the sun and this leisurely walk. Weatherbug says it’s 65 degrees out but it feels much warmer.



Not only are there many boaters out today, the paddle boarders are out too. In swimsuits. That is to say, without a wetsuit. Amazing! but then again, that’s why I’m here and you’re reading this blog and probably considering making San Diego your home. Nearing the trailhead a young man drops off a young lady at the shore line. Several boats are tied up to buoys in the bay. It’s a little cheaper than the slips but you do have to shuttle back and forth to shore when you want or need anything. This is a common dropping off spot.

Walking back to the trailhead I continue my walk around the North side of the bay; around several marinas and restaurants. Artists occupy Shoreline Park showing off their talent and lots of folks are out walking, jogging and just hanging out, enjoying the sun and great weather.

Are you a boater? If you are brave enough to cruise down the coast to San Diego and don’t want to pay the high price of a moorage slip, you could always tie up to a buoy. The buoys on the San Diego Bay side of Shelter Island take a fair amount of abuse from the boats coming and going from San Diego but, as I mentioned, there are a few spots on the shore side of the Island that you might be lucky enough to get.


At the Southwest end of Shelter Island a pair of Osprey are nesting. I can see a head popping up out of the nest but I can’t tell if it’s a baby, or parent sitting on eggs. I walked the Island a couple weeks ago and someone I met mentioned that there were eggs in the nest. Apparently they, the parents, haven’t been successful in actually hatching the little ones in the past. I will be back to see if I can spot the youngsters in the next several weeks. Hopefully they will survive this year.

Time to get back to the car and take care of a few chores. I hope you’ve enjoyed this mornings walk. Happy Valentine's Day.


PS: Let me know if there is a specific place, event or San Diego topic you would like to hear about. I take requests.



1 comment:

  1. Aaron, Thanks for the kind words on my blog. I'm new to this so it's taking me some time to find how to respond back. I was just in San Diego last month for a conference - wonderful place to retire.
    Marian

    ReplyDelete